In this Camden Travel Guide, you will find everything you need to know about the city of Camden, as well as an interactive map for your convenience.
Map of Camden
Camden is a city located in Camden County, New Jersey, United States. According to the 2010 Census, the city had a population of 77,614. Camden is the sixth-most populous municipality in New Jersey, behind Newark, Paterson, Union City, Elizabeth and Linden.
Camden was founded by George Carteret in 1689 and named after Charles II of England. The city was initially settled by English Quakers and later developed as a center of commerce and manufacturing. Its industries have included shipbuilding, textiles, clothing, iron and steel production, and food processing.
Camden became a cultural destination in the 1950s and 1960s due to its proximity to Philadelphia and its many nightclubs and music venues. In the 1970s and 1980s, Camden became known for its high crime rate and poverty levels. Since then, the city’s crime rates have decreased significantly and its economy has improved. Today, Camden is considered one of the most diverse cities in America with a large Hispanic population and a growing Asian community.
Camden Travel Guide – Map of Camden Photo Gallery
History of Camden
Camden is a city located in the U.S. state of New Jersey, and part of the Philadelphia metropolitan area. With a population of just over 100,000 people as of the 2010 Census, Camden is the smallest municipality in New Jersey by population. Camden was originally settled by the Dutch in 1660 and was known as “The Diamond City” because of its many diamond factories. The city has since gone through many changes, but has maintained its unique character and culture. Today, Camden is known for its art scene, hip hop music and creative businesses.
Camden was one of the first cities in America to be powered by electricity from steam engines. The Camden Water Works was one of the earliest municipally operated utilities in America and helped make the city an early industrial center. Today, Camden is known for its many arts and cultural venues, including the Philip Morris Theatre and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Festival.
Camden is a thriving city with loads of attractions to explore. Here are some of the top attractions in Camden:
1. Camden County Historical Society Museum – This museum is home to a large collection of artifacts from the history of Camden County. It’s also a great place to learn about the area’s rich cultural heritage.
2. The University of Pennsylvania Museum of Art – This museum has a wide range of artworks, including some pieces by famous artists. It’s an excellent place to explore if you’re interested in learning more about art history.
3. Temple Beth El – This shul is known for its beautiful architecture and vibrant religious services. It’s a great place to visit if you want to experience Jewish culture firsthand.
4. The New Jersey Historical Society – This museum is home to a variety of historical artifacts and documents from throughout the state of New Jersey. It’s an excellent place to learn more about the region’s history, both past and present.
5. Cooper-Hewitt Museum – This museum is dedicated to the history of art and design, and it has an impressive collection of artifacts from throughout the world. It’s a great place for art lovers, as well as history buffs.
Camden is home to a variety of restaurants, from family-owned diners to high-end establishments. Here are five recommended Camden restaurants:
1. The Windup Space – This popular bar and restaurant has an eclectic menu that includes everything from burgers to sushi. It’s also known for its rotating beer selection.
2. Red Rooster – This soul food restaurant is known for its delicious chicken and waffles. It’s also open for lunch and dinner, making it a great option for those looking for something quick and convenient.
3. The Vegetarian House – This vegan-friendly restaurant serves up organic and cruelty-free food, as well as gluten-free options. Its menu features lots of different dishes, so there’s something for everyone to enjoy.
4. Café Gitano – This Spanish café offers a variety of tapas, along with margaritas and Sangria specials. Its atmosphere is casual and trendy, making it a great place to catch up with friends or relax after work.
5. Big Star – This popular gastropub serves up Americanized cuisine in a hip setting. Its menu features items like buffalo chicken dip and pretzels with cheese sauce.
Hotels and Apartments
Camden is a vibrant city with plenty of places to stay. Whether you’re looking for a budget option or something a little more luxurious, Camden has something for you. Here’s a list of some of the best hotels and apartments in Camden.
The Chelsea Hotel offers guests spacious and modern rooms at an excellent price point. The hotel is located in the heart of Camden and is within walking distance to some of the city’s attractions. The Zen Rooms are also great options for those looking for affordable accommodation with all the amenities you need.
If you’re looking for something a little more luxurious, The Camden Tower Hotel is perfect for you. With 360-degree views of the city, elegant interiors and an on-site restaurant, this hotel is sure to impress. If luxury isn’t your thing, consider staying at one of Camden’s many budget-friendly apartments. You can find everything from studios to three-bedroom apartments right in the heart of Camden. So whether you’re looking for a place to sleep or stay for a while, Camden has something that’ll fit your needs!
Camden’s public transportation options are excellent and varied. There are three types of buses in Camden, the Rapid Transport bus, the Local Shuttle bus, and the Dial-A-Ride van service. All buses have schedules and routes that can be found online or on paper.
The Rapid Transport bus is a cheap way to get around town. It costs $1 for a one-way trip, and it runs frequently throughout the day.
The Local Shuttle bus is a little more expensive but also has more variety. It costs $2 for a one-way trip and runs during peak hours only.
The Dial-A-Ride van service is the most expensive but also has the most options. It costs $3 for a one-way trip and you can find routes all over Camden.
If you’re looking for a fun and exciting place to visit, Camden is definitely the place to be. This lively city has something for everyone, from historical sites to cool nightlife destinations. In this guide, we’ve outlined everything you need to know about Camden so that you can make the most of your visit. We hope that our map will help you get around town easily and enable you to plan your perfect Camden travel experience!
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Cozumel Travel Guide for Tourist: Map of Cozumel
- Map of Conway – Missouri Travel Guide
- Copenhagen Travel Guide For Tourist, Map Of Copenhagen
- Concord Travel Guide for Tourist – Map of Concord
- A Map Of Cervinia, The Italian Alpine Sanctuary