There are many places in the world that are on many a travel bucket list- the magnificent Taj Mahal, the Great Barrier Reef, the Amazonian forests. Among these fabulous destinations is Mombasa. The second largest city in Kenya is a popular place for visitors from all parts of the world.
It’s easy to get to Mombasa once in Kenya. You could fly in directly.
Mombasa – It Should Be On Your Travel Bucket List Photos
Click to Photo for Next Images of Mombasa – It Should Be On Your Travel Bucket List
Book flights from Nairobi to Mombasa and Mombasa to Nairobi using Tripindigo. The chances are you’ll enter the country in Nairobi. There are many reasons why Mombasa should be on your travel bucket list.
1. Mamba Village Center- Mombasa is home to the biggest crocodile farm- the Mamba Village Center. Get there at feeding time and you’ll truly understand the amazing power of these magnificent reptiles. The Center is vital in spreading information about crocodiles and works as an education center as well. You can also explore the garden and the aquarium or tuck into some game meat at the restaurant.
2. Haller Park- if birds are your scene, head to Haller Park to learn about the over 160 kinds of birds. The Park, previously called the Bamburi Nature Trail, has animals too- zebras, hippos, Cape buffalos and giraffes are some of them. The noteworthy aspect of the Park is that it used to be a disused limestone quarry. When you see it now, you’ll find its origins hard to believe.
3. Bamburi Beach- Mombasa boasts of some of the prettiest beaches in the region. Get your best safari and beach/islands information and head out for a day of sun and fun. Whether it’s swimming, snorkeling or sunbathing- you can do it all at the beaches here. Choose amongst Bamburi, Diani and Nyali and you’re sure to not be disappointed.
4. Fort Jesus Museum- being at Mombasa allows you to experience a UNESCO World Heritage Site -Fort Jesus. Built by the Portuguese in the late 1500s, itis one of the oldest and best preserved examples of military protection. The site is about 2.36 hectares in area and affords many opportunities to walk around. This is Renaissance military history at its finest and a place you absolutely don’t want to miss. Fly East AfricanAirlines and get here to understand military and trade strategy. Or just gaze at the harbor from the Fort and enjoy a quiet moment.
5. While you’re at Fort Jesus, take a walk around the part of town it is in- Old Town. The Asian, European and Arab culture of the inhabitants is seen in every piece of architecture- from the balconies to the doors. If you want to do a spot of shopping, you’ll find antiques, spices and souvenirs to carry home.
6. Marine National Park- if diving to explore sunken ships and the depths of the ocean is your thing, then you must check out the Marine National Park. The Park is important because it protects not only the creatures that call the waters home but also the coral reef, mangroves and seabed grasses. You can dive or take a glass-bottom boat to explore the riches of the waters.
Mombasa is a treat for the senses. Visit and you’ll see why.