Value is only part of the reason RV owners choose the lifestyle. In a survey conducted by the RVIA, 80% said RVing strengthens family bonds; 73% said that going RVing has resulted in a closer relationship with their spouse. Flexibility and convenience, comfort, and the lure of the outdoors are a few other reasons why people choose the RV experience.
The RVIA found that camping is the favorite activity families enjoy during their RV trips. Taking scenic drives (72%) and hiking/walking (67%) also rank high on the list of favorite activities of RVing families.
Public and privately owned RV parks and campgrounds – there are more than
16,000 nationwide – are found near popular destinations, along major tourist routes, and even in metropolitan areas. These campgrounds appeal to travelers by offering a variety of activities to keep the whole family happy, including swimming pools, game rooms, playgrounds, and snack bars. Surrounding public lands are popular for hiking, fishing, whitewater rafting, and many other outdoor recreational opportunities enjoyed by RVers. RV travelers seeking a resort atmosphere are especially attracted to the growing number of luxury RV resorts with facilities such as tennis courts, golf courses, and health spas.
The American Camper: Profiles and Perspectives, a report by the ARVC, provided the following assessment of lifestyle and leisure activities of active campers and RV owners:
• Eighty percent (80%) of RV owners utilized family-oriented RV parks/resorts during the past year.
• Seventy-eight percent (78%) of RV owners have enjoyed exploring nature while staying in an RV park/resort.
• Sixty-three percent (63%) of RV owners find that being close to nature is extremely important when selecting an RV park/resort.
• Sixty-two percent (62%) of RV owners visited a historic or cultural site.
• Forty-nine percent (49%) of RV owners participated in bird or animal watching while staying in an RV park/resort.
• Forty-eight percent (48%) of RV owners took a trip with extended family, including their children.
• Twenty-two percent (22%) of RV owners stressed the importance of the availability of activities for children and teens at or near the campground or RV park/resort.
An assessment by International Demographics (www.themediaaudit.com) found the metropolitan areas with the highest percentage of households that owned an RV as follows:
Reno, NV: 13.6%
Boise, ID: 13.1%
Eugene-Springfield, OR: 13.1%
Salt Lake City, UT: 12.4%
Spokane, WA: 10.9%
Seattle-Tacoma, WA: 9.4%
Portland, OR: 9.1%
Albuquerque, NM: 8.3%
Tulsa, OK: 8.2%
Colorado Springs, CO: 8.1%
Top Rated RV Campgrounds and Resorts
The RV Traveler Lifestyle in USA Photo Gallery
Based on a survey of more than 30,000 camping and RV enthusiasts evaluating guest experiences at 3,000 campgrounds, the following RV parks and resorts affiliated with ARVC are designated “A” Grade Campgrounds and RV Resorts:
• Anaheim Resort RV Park (Anaheim, CA; www.anaheimresortrvpark.com)
• Ashland Resort (Northfork, WV; www.atvresort.com)
• Beaver Dam Campground (Berwick, ME; www.beaverdamcampground.com)
• Camp A Way (Lincoln, NE; www.campaway.com)
• Cherry Hill Park (College Park, MD (www.cherryhillpark.com)
• D & W Lake Camping and RV Park (Champaign, IL; www.dwlake.com)
• Far Horizons 49er Village RV Resort (Plymouth, CA; www.49ervillage.com)
• Kalyumet Camping & Cabins (Lucinda, PA; www.kalyumet.com)
• Lake George RV Park (Lake George, NY; www.lakegeorgervpark.com)
• Las Vegas RV Resort (Las Vegas, NV; www.lasvegasrvresort.com)
• Leaf Verde RV Resort (Buckeye, AZ; www.leafverde.com)
• Meadowcliff Lodge & RV Resort (Coleville, CA; www.meadowcliff.com)
• Mill Creek Ranch RV Resort (Canton, TX; www.millcreekranchresort.com)
• Misty River Cabins & RV Resort (Walland, TN; www.mistyriverrv.com)
• Moose River Campground (Saint Johnsbury, VT; www.mooserivercampground.com)
• Mountain Vista Campground (East Stroudsburg, PA; www.mtnvistacampground.com)
• Pioneer Campground (Laporte, PA; www.pioneercampground.com)
• Pismo Coast Village RV Resort (Pismo Beach, CA; www.pismocoastvillage.com)
• Red Apple Campground (Kennebunkport, ME; www.redapplecampground.com)
• River’s Edge Campground (Connellsville, PA; www.campriversedge.com)
• Shadow Hills RV Resort (Indio, CA; www.shadowhillsrvresort.com)
• The Springs at Borrego RV Resort and Golf Course (Borrego Springs, CA; www.springsatborrego.com)
• The Vineyards Campground & Cabins (Grapevine, TX; www.vineyardscampground.com)
• Wine Country RV Resort (Paso Robles, CA; www.winecountryrvresort.com)
• Wishon Village RV Park (Shaver Lake, CA; www.wishonvillage.com)
• Yellowstone Holiday Campground (West Yellowstone, MT; www.yellowstoneholiday.com)
54.5 Market Resources
National Association of RV Parks & Campgrounds, 9085 E. Mineral Circle, Suite #200, Centennial, CO 80112. (303) 681-0401. (www.arvc.org)
Recreation Vehicle Industry Association, 1896 Preston White Drive, Reston, VA 20191. (703) 620-6003. (www.rvia.org)
Maybe You Like Them Too
- The Best Places To Visit In North America For Christmas
- Faro Travel Guide: Map of Faro
- Mumbai Travel Guide For Tourists: Map Of Mumbai
- Travel to Budapest
- Thailand Travel Guide for Tourists: The Ultimate Thailand Map