Baby Boomer Travelers
According to the Domestic Travel Market Report, published by the U.S. Travel Association (USTA, www.ustravel.org), Baby Boomer households generate the highest travel volume in the U.S. (registering more than 241 million trips). Baby Boomers are more likely than travelers of other generational groups to stay in a hotel or resort on overnight trips (59%), travel for business (32%), and travel by air (22%).
Baby Boomer travelers are the most affluent among lifestage segments, with 44% having an annual income of $75,000 or more. Not surprisingly, Baby Boomers spend more on their trips than other age groups, averaging $491 per trip, excluding transportation to their destination. Fourteen percent (14%) spend $1,000 or m ore on a trip, excluding cost of transportation.
TRAVELER SEGMENTATION US Photo Gallery
Senior household trips last the longest across the generation groups – an average of 4.8 nights, excluding day trips – with 18% of trips lasting seven or more nights. This group also has a higher share of day trips (18%). Even when including day trips in the average, mature travelers’ average trip length is 3.9 nights.
Of traveling senior households, 53% stay in a hotel or resort on their trip, and 42% stay at the homes of friends and relatives. Nearly half (48%) of senior travel is taken by someone traveling alone or with someone from outside the household, the highest figure among all generational groups. These travelers are also the most likely of all age groups to have household travel party sizes of two members (42%).
With its wealth of disposable income and leisure time, the growing senior demographic is a very attractive market for the U.S. travel industry, suggests the USTA’s Domestic Travel Market Report.
Minority travelers represent approximately 18% of all person-trips taken in the U.S. and 19% of domestic travel expenditures, according to The Minority Traveler, based on a survey of 300,000 American households and published by the USTA. Domestic expenditures by minority travelers total about $90 billion.
A majority of African-American person-trips are for leisure (74%), most often to visit friends or relatives (44%). Twenty-two percent (22%) of African-American person-trips are taken for business, including combined business and pleasure purposes.
Group tours are popular among African-Americans. Compared to travelers overall, nearly three times as many African-American person-trips involve group tours (10% versus 3%). African-American households spend $428 per trip, on average, excluding spending on transportation to their destination, according to The Minority Traveler.
The following are other facts about African-American travel (source: USTA):
• African-Americans are much more likely to travel to destinations throughout the southern census divisions, specifically to the South Atlantic (37% of person-trips), West South Central (15%), and East South Central (13%) divisions.
• Nine percent (9%) of all African-American travel includes a rental car as a primary mode of transportation. One in seven (14%) African-American person-trips includes air transportation.
• On 10% of trips, African-American households spend $1,000 or more, excluding transportation to the destination.
• Fifty-one percent (51%) of African-American trips are made by adults traveling alone or with someone outside their household. About one in four (26%) trips taken by
African-American households include children under 18 years old.
• Aside from shopping (41% of person-trips), other popular activities on African-
American trips are nightlife or dancing (13%), visiting historical places or museums
(12%), attending cultural events or festivals (12%), visiting theme or amusement parks (12%), and gambling (12%).
The following are the top cities visited by African-American travelers:
• Atlanta, GA
• Orlando, FL
• Washington, DC
• Dallas, TX
• New York, NY
• Chicago, IL
• Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA
• Las Vegas, NV
• Charlotte, NC
• Philadelphia, PA
Maybe You Like Them Too
- Travel To South Africa – South Africa Travel Guide
- Shoren-in Temple in Kyoto
- Territorial Landscapes of Cambodia
- Newport Paper & my blog Arts Festival – Top USA Festivals
- Where is Jachymov, Czech Republic? – Jachymov, Czech Republic Map – Jachymov, Czech Republic Map Download Free